Friday, January 7, 2011

A: Anna and The French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins (372 pages)

So here is the first book of my project for 2011 - Books A-Z. It is a book that begins with A - I cannot promise that the books that follow will show up in alphabetical order, but I can assure you that the last book will start with a Z. Everything else will happen when it happens! I like it!


Who would have thought that such a great book would have such a silly title? Not me! But after hearing about this book from a few friends and then hearing it discussed on NPR, I was compelled to push pass my title prejudices and pick up this gem. I am more than pleased with my decision.


Anna is the teen-aged protagonist who is sent away to boarding school in France by her rather pretentious and silly father who is up and coming best-selling author of "douche-y" books. Please forgive me if you are a Nicholas Sparks fan - but the description that Anna gives of her dad fits Sparks and his genre of books to a tee. That illicits a big old BLECH from me!


This book is both serious and fun and it was a book I wanted to re-read as soon as I was finished with the last word. Following Anna in her struggle with independence, abandonment issues, language barriers and love was the perfect way for me to ring in the New Year! The students at SOAP (School of America in Paris) provided the perfect distraction from making resolutions and watching countdown shows. These characters made me want to break out of my comfort zone, try something new - go somewhere unknown, live a little! Who knows what else I may learn the rest of the year! Maybe I'll take the trip of a lifetime, as long as I have a book or two tucked in my bag - I'll be good to go.


Check this book out - there are no werewolves or vampires (not that there is anything wrong with vamps and weres), it is just a solidly written debut novel that sings from the pages. 

1 comment: