Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Week 6: Franny and Zooey – J.D. Salinger (202 pages)

My mother told me never to speak ill of the dead and she said that if I have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all. Holding these tenets close to my chest, I will try my best to review this book. 

My project buddy, Lara and I decided to commemorate the passing of J.D. Salinger by reading one of his books. Since we had both read A Catcher In The Rye, Franny and Zooey was the obvious choice. This is two stories about siblings Franny (Frances Glass) and her brother Zooey (Zachary Glass). They live a privileged life and with it comes issues a plenty.

Maybe I am not smart enough for Salinger or maybe there are too many words for me to cut through to the meaning, whatever it is – I just don’t get it or Salinger for that matter.

It would be absurd to believe that I will love every book that I read for this project – but this is one that I was hoping would make that list. Rest In Peace Mr. Salinger…

1 comment:

  1. This was a toughie, for sure. I too had hoped that I could hold it in higher esteem. All I can say is it can only get better the next time around!

    ReplyDelete